Monday, December 8, 2008

Home Is Where The Heart Is....

So, I'm not the skinniest guy in the world. I never have been, except for a few years in college when I was literally starving. What a great diet plan: be poor, for a long time.

Well, a year ago, I had my cholesterol levels checked, and they were a little high. I had them re-checked this last month, and the cholesterol levels actually were better, although the good cholesterol levels were too low, and my triglycerides were too high. Since I have had some pain every now and then in my chest, (which I had always been told was a torn intercostal muscle) since I have a family history of heart problems, and since the cholesterol and triglycerides were wonky, I had an echo stress test done today on my heart. It's not as invasive as a dye test, but better than a simple stress test and ekg.

The doc said he saw absolutely no evidence of blockages, which was nice to hear, but this test, although valuable, is limited. So, I am glad to hear he saw nothing catastrophic, but am convinced that now is the time I should really work hard to lose weight, eat better, lower the bad stuff in my blood, and raise the good stuff.

The nurse who was very nice this morning, unfortunately had to dig for a vein for the IV like she was searching for a ring dropped in her garbage disposal, which means she jabbed around several times, and hurt my hand like hell, but didn't find what she was looking for. So, she settled for the vein up a little higher on my arm. In fact, the worst part of the whole event was/is the really painful digs across the back of my right hand, and the swelling from her gouging.

On the other hand, I think one of the other nurses flirted with me :D Lara said that I better watch what cologne I am wearing (she picked it out for me).

No comments: